by She Love Sex
The Reality Female Condom is one of those contraception and STD prevention methods that can polarize friends and sexual acquaintances: you either love them, you hate them, or you’ve held off on trying them because of the controversy they inspire.
What is a Reality condom? It’s a thin, loose-fitting polyurethane sheath with two polyurethane inner rings, and is impermeable to viruses. It’s less likely to break than latex condoms, fits easily inside you, and can be inserted up to 8 hours before intercourse. If you’re a sexually active woman who likes to be prepared for every opportunity, it’s a great tool to add to your arsenal.
Here are more than a few reasons why we love the Reality condom:
- It offers increased barrier protection for the vagina, cervix and external genitalia. By shielding more of the outside genital area, it’s been proven to reduce STDs better than male condoms.
- Some women report that female condoms feels more loose and therefore, less irritating (eliminating that ‘rubbed raw’ feeling you get from a dried out latex condom)
- It has no side effects.
- For the guys: The female condom doesn’t cling to or choke the penis (some condoms pleasure a man about as much as having a rubber band tied about his member). Many men prefer a looser condom for increased sensation.
- The Reality condom is size friendly. Male condoms tend to have more slippage and breakage, which is caused by a member that’s too large or too small.
- Reality condoms are great for sex with well-endowed men. When he balks at a condom, saying he’s just too big, pull out a Reality condom. That’ll end that discussion!
- It is quicker and easier to apply than a male condom. In fact, it’s not dependent on a man’s erection. If your partner suffers from flagging rigidity, simply insert it before foreplay or sex.
- This is one of the only barrier methods (and if you’re sexually active and not fluid-bonded with your partner, you absolutely need to use a barrier method) that allows for sexual spontaneity.
- Does not need to be removed immediately after ejaculation. This means more post-coital relaxation, less jumping up to attend to safety.
- The Reality condom doesn’t deteriorate in high temperatures (latex condoms can decay if not stored properly).
- The Female condom doesn’t require a prescription or the permission of a health care provider.
- Put one each in your vagina and anus: the penis can go from vagina to anus TO MOUTH and back again without any pause or contamination risks. (WOW!!)
Confused about which kind of female condom is better? Both designations (the FC and the FC2) are available under the Reality condom product name. The difference between them is primarily:
The FC condom (click link to purchase) is made of plastic polyurethane, which is stronger than latex, and less likely to irritate you or cause allergic reactions.
The FC2 Condoms (click link to purchase) (the Reality’s second generation) is made of nitrile, which is slightly cheaper to purchase and less likely to make ‘crinkly noises’ during sex.
Both types of Reality female condoms conduct heat better than latex for more of a ‘nothing there’ feeling.
The lubricant used for the Reality condom is silicone based, and non-spermicidal.
Reality condoms have also been promoted as a safer sex alternative for gay males for use during anal sex (healthcare professionals recommend removing the inner ring for anal use). If it works for them, it can certainly work for you!
We ask you: what’s not to love about a barrier birth control method that protects against STDs and pregnancy but still allows for impromptu sex? If you’ve tried the Female Condom, we’d love to hear your thoughts, whatever they are. Please comment below.